13 Greyhound Road Sutton Surrey SM1 4BY
TEL: 020 8643 2574
Email: mail@the littlewindsor.uk
A General History of Sutton
From British History Online
The Beginnings (an account from 1792)
The name of Sutton, i.e. South-town, is common to many places in all parts of England. This village is situated upon the road to Reigate, about eleven miles from Westminster-bridge. The parish lies in the hundred of Wallington, and is bounded by Carshalton towards the east; Mordon towards the north; towards the west, by Cheam; and to the south, by Banstead. The cultivated land is principally arable; the proportion of meadow being very small; the downs and commons are extensive.
The downs adjoin those of Banstead, and are grazed by sheep. The mutton is noted for its small size and fine flavour. The inhabitants have a right of turning out their cattle upon Sutton and Bonhill commons in this parish, during a certain part of the year. Near the turnpike-gate, on the road to Carshalton, is a very large chalk-pit, which produces a variety of extraneous fossils.
A rock of chalk extends through the greater part of the parish, being covered with a fine mould, in some places six feet deep. The soil to the north of the village is a strong clay, between which and the chalky lands there runs a narrow vein of sand.
Sutton is assessed 14s. in the pound (70p to a modern puond sterling (70%)) to the land-tax, which this year (1792) is at the rate of 2s. in the pound (10%).
The manor belonged formerly to St. Peter's Abbey at Chertsey. In Doomsday-book it is said to contain 15 ploughlands, and to have been valued in the reign of Edward the Confessor and at the time of the survey in the 11th Century.
After the suppression of monasteries it was granted to Sir Nicholas Carew. Having been forfeited by his attainder it reverted to the crown, but was restored to his son by Queen Mary (fn. 2). It afterwards came into the Darcy family, having been bequeathed probably by Sir Francis Carew to the issue of his brother-in-law Sir Arthur Darcy. From the Darcys it passed to Sir Richard Mason, whose daughter and co-heir, Dorothy, brought it to her husband Sir William Brownlow, who died in 1700. It was purchased in the year 1720 by the Cliffe family.
Henry Cliffe, Esq. died in 1761, leaving one daughter, on whom the manor and estate were entailed, and who, in the year 1785, married Thomas Hatch, Esq. of New Windsor, now lord of the manor in right of his wife.
It appears that there was formerly a manor in this parish distinct from that of the Abbot of Chertsey, valued in the reign of King John at eight marks, and then held by Gilbert Basset. The manor, which was granted in the reign of Edward III. by Sir Simon de Codyngton to Richard Cok and William Hardegrey and by them aligned to Sir Simon St. Michael, with the remainder to Ralph Codyngton being held under Chertsey Abbey.
Surrey dialect words and phrases
Horny bug' - a stag beetle.
'Badger' - a stick or tool used to make a hole in the ground for planting seeds.
'Vairn' - fern.
'Apern' - apron.
'Chart' - is a dialect word of Surrey and Kent. It comes from the Anglo-Saxon word 'ceart' meaning a rough common overgrown with gorse or bracken.
'Shick-shacks' - a name for oak-apples. Oak-Apple Day (29 May) was known as 'Shick-Shack Day' in Surrey. 29 May was the birthday of Charles ll, and this day celebrated the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.
The phrase 'using Ockham's razor' (sometimes spelled Occam's) comes from the Surrey town of Ockham, between Dorking and Woking.William of Ockham (1270-1347) was a philosopher, theologian and Franciscan friar who developed the theory known as 'Ockham's Razori Ockham's view was that when there are several competing theories to explain a phenomenon, the simpler theory is usually the most likely. The 'razor' of the name of the theory alludes to the idea of something cutting away unnecessary assumptions.
An old rhyme about the area says:
Sutton for good mutton,
Cheam for juicy beeﬂ
Croydon for a pretty girl,
And Mitcham for a thief.
Source: Did You Know?
SUTTON AND CHEAM
The Francis Firth Collection
Surrey dialect words and phrases
First published in the United Kingdom in 2006 by The Francis Frith Collection'
Hardback edition published in 2006 ISBN 10: l-84589-359-X ISBN 13: 978-1-84589-359-0
Text and Design copyright The Francis Frith Collection"
Photographs copyright The Francis Frith Collection” except where indicated.
The Frith' photographs and the Frith' logo are reproduced under licence from
Heritage Photographic Resources Ltd, the owners of the Frith' archive and trademarks.
'The Francis Frith Collection', 'Francis Frith' and 'Frith' are registered trademarks of Heritage Photographic Resources Ltd.
British Library Cataloguing in Publication Data
Did You Know? Sutton and Cheam - A Miscellany
Compiled by Iulia Skinner
With particular reference to the work of Martin Andrew and Keith HowellThe Francis Frith Collection
Frith's Barn, Teffont,
Salisbury, Wiltshire SP3 SQP
Tel: +44 (O) I722 716 376
AS WITH ANY HISTORICAL DATABASE, THE FRANCIS FRITH ARCHIVE IS CONSTANTLY BEING
CORRECTED AND IMPROVED, AND THE PUBLISHERS WOULD WELCOME INFORMATION ON
OMISSIONS OR INACCURACIES
The record of Doomsday speaks of two churches in this parish: there is now one only, which is a small structure dedicated to St. Nicholas, consisting of a nave and chancel. At the west-end was a wooden tower, which has been lately taken down and rebuilt of brick..
More content will be added later